Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Question to vmware users regarding CPU settings
delay-lamo
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2015 12:36:27 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
In D3 i could bot 4-6 clients on separate guest OSes using vmware without much optimisation (just VMTools and minimize graphic parameters in guest OS), but this bot seems more CPU intensive, so even with 2 running clients it sometimes overloads CPU in guest OS resulting in roping.
So could anyone help me with CPU settings for vmware?
I did some research and made few tricks like disabling logging, etc. But what i'm struggling with is basic CPU parameters for guest OS. Like what's the difference between combinations of "number of processors" and "Number of cores per processor", will it be the same for 4-1 / 2-2 / 1-4? Or how do they work with physical and logical cores of my host CPU (which is i7-2600k btw)? Info on most optimal settings would be great.
JoyAdmin
#2 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2015 12:16:24 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 4539 time(s) in 1637 post(s)
All HS bots are heavy CPU consumer, you can try to use silverfish, its CPU load is a bit lighter.
Golddieb
#3 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2015 5:32:33 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 38 post(s)
If you monitor the CPU usage of HR you will find a low base usage with very high peaks during your turn (when the "next move" function is called).

You can try to share your host's ressources instead of assigning them to each guest, so you don't waste them in idle modes.

- Use some low requirement OS for guests (like WinXP, you need to search the forum on how to get HR running under XP).
- Assign each guest 1 CPU with 1 core (if this runs to unstable go to 1 CPU / 2 cores) and at least 2 GB ram.
- Create a (VM-)shared folder for each guest with HR in it.
- Recompile Silverfish with the "use external process" option and use this one (this will use a shared file for communication)
- foreach client: start the external process from host and start HS and HR from the client

Hope this helps you and please report back your progress. ;)
1 user thanked Golddieb for this useful post.
JoyAdmin on 4/21/2015(UTC)