Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Avast just deleted Launcher.exe after updating
wapo
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 21, 2015 1:07:37 AM(UTC)
wapo

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
What's up with that?
Didn't happen when downloaded everything again from http://www.hearthranger....Bot---HearthRanger.aspx .
Most likely it's a false positive and caused by the crypting method you have used, but I'd just like to hear an official response.
Vick Nan
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 21, 2015 1:09:28 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 37 post(s)
JoyAdmin
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 21, 2015 5:07:55 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 4539 time(s) in 1637 post(s)
Avast is not a good anti-virus software, we have checked every download package by www.virustotal.com ( a google's company).

Latest package virus free prove:

https://www.virustotal.c...92/analysis/1445414621/
wapo
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 21, 2015 5:46:14 AM(UTC)
wapo

JoyAdmin;31410 wrote:
Avast is not a good anti-virus software, we have checked every download package by www.virustotal.com ( a google's company).

Latest package virus free prove:

https://www.virustotal.c...92/analysis/1445414621/

Odd that it only happened when auto-updating via the program and not at all when downloading the whole package from this site.

I really don't think virustotal.com or any other automated system/site should be viewed as perfectly trustable, but of course it's a handy tool for checking if a file contains known malicious properties. Those malicious properties could just as well be unknown to the systems in question, though.
Vick Nan
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 21, 2015 10:51:13 AM(UTC)

wapo;31417 wrote:
Odd that it only happened when auto-updating via the program and not at all when downloading the whole package from this site.

I really don't think virustotal.com or any other automated system/site should be viewed as perfectly trustable, but of course it's a handy tool for checking if a file contains known malicious properties. Those malicious properties could just as well be unknown to the systems in question, though.

So, what would you consider perfectly trustable? I've understood that VT is pretty much the internet standard, but have not done any research in this subject per se. Never had to go much further.

My take is that with software like this the only option is to at some point decide if you trust it or not, as it has those characteristics which easily can be frowned upon (injecting, automated executes, macros, obscure encryptions, whatnot) and then just go with it. And ofcourse see what possible gain would be had from defaulting. HR is very niche and isn't even out of beta, to a very popular game with tournaments, 100k prizes and shit, only a fool would piss away a situation like this. I guess I'm trying to say that in my experience common sense is the best AV. What I'm NOT trying to say is "be less safe".

Anyway, I'm still very interested in what someone else do think is perfectly trustable.

The €0.02 to the pile, from me.

Best,
wapo
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 22, 2015 5:08:16 AM(UTC)
wapo

Vick Nan;31441 wrote:
So, what would you consider perfectly trustable? I've understood that VT is pretty much the internet standard, but have not done any research in this subject per se. Never had to go much further.

My take is that with software like this the only option is to at some point decide if you trust it or not, as it has those characteristics which easily can be frowned upon (injecting, automated executes, macros, obscure encryptions, whatnot) and then just go with it. And ofcourse see what possible gain would be had from defaulting. HR is very niche and isn't even out of beta, to a very popular game with tournaments, 100k prizes and shit, only a fool would piss away a situation like this. I guess I'm trying to say that in my experience common sense is the best AV. What I'm NOT trying to say is "be less safe".

Anyway, I'm still very interested in what someone else do think is perfectly trustable.

The €0.02 to the pile, from me.

Best,

I appreciate your two cents.

I wouldn't consider anything perfectly trustable. Though, there is a forum where staff goes through the uploaded forums, before the files are made available for download. They don't really approve files that have tough encryptions. That site I would deem pretty safe. Of course they just as well could be distributing malware there, but I would doubt that.

If anyone got the idea that I'm saying that JoyAdmin shouldn't be trusted, I wouldn't say that.

Which is weird, though, is the fact that if I download the version 4.1.0 again and try to update through the Launcher, Avast does the same thing again.
You can try this by yourself by downloading the version 4.1.0 from here: http://www.hearthranger....earthranger_v.4.1.0.rar
At this exact moment I can't reproduce this because the launcher gives me this error message "Server not ready."
Vick Nan
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 22, 2015 6:38:55 AM(UTC)

For me, sounds like an avast quirk. But I'm far from an expert.

Anyway, I do have experience with Avast for a few years on several machines, I had to switch away from it this spring for things exactly like this. It's not exactly top shelf product afaik

These days I roll with mbam and just W10 standard av. mbam is nice, if you go to say tpb without adb+, mbam stops the more or less hostile upcoming page from loading in the first place

Been using the web from 94-95, had ebay acc before paypal, ordered from China before dx and bg, am a flaming pirate. Just trying to apply common sense has resulted in not one single ordeal which would have raised my brows

or maybe I just have selective memory lol.

btw if you pirate mbam, update it and let it see it is pirated, they will actually offer you a free one year license no questions asked, no subscription required. Good guy Malwarebytes.
wapo
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 22, 2015 2:12:04 PM(UTC)
wapo

Vick Nan;31477 wrote:

btw if you pirate mbam, update it and let it see it is pirated, they will actually offer you a free one year license no questions asked, no subscription required. Good guy Malwarebytes.

Damn, that's a great deal. I actually just might go for it some day.